India's leading Think Tank Centre for Civil Society (CCS) is organizing 10th School Choice National Conference (SCNC), a day-long conference dedicated to "Alternative Education(s): Philosophy, Practice & Policy" on Friday, 14 December 2018 from 10 am to 6 pm at Silver Oak Hall. The conference will conclude withthe screening and award ceremony of EduDoc- International Short Film Competition from 7 pm – 9 pm at Juniper, India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road New Delhi- 03.
Dr. Sugata Mitra, Professor at Newcastle University (UK) & Ted Prize winner will deliver the keynote speech at the conference followed by three sessions focusing on a specific aspect of the larger theme. The day-long conference is attended by 200 participants and will include thematic sessions on the philosophy and practice of alternate education in India, as well as the policy framework for such models of learning.
- Day & Date: Friday, 14 December 2018
- Time: 10:00 AM
- Venue: Silver Oak Hall, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi
Other prominent speakers include:
- Anil Swarup | Former Secretary, Department of School Education and Literacy, Government of India
- Padma Shri Geeta Dharmarajan | Founder, Katha; Writer, Social Entrepreneur, and Educationist
- Gitanjali JB | Co-founder, Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh (HIAL)
- Geeta Gandhi Kingdon | Professor of Education and International Development at the Institute of Education, London University
- Vidhi Jain | Co-founder, Shikshantar
- Anju Musafir | Founder, Mahatma Gandhi International School
- Supriya Joshi | Founder member, Swashikshan: Indian Association of Homeschoolers
- Deepa Avashia | Questologist(School leader), Riverside school
- S Gopalan | Accounts, the Valley School
- Ajay Kumar Singh | Associate Professor, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
- Neeraja Raghavan | Founder-director, Thinking Teacher; co-author, Alternative Schooling in India
The objectives of the conference are three-fold:
- To examine the drawbacks of conventional schooling system and understand the theoretical frameworks surrounding different models of alternative education.
- To highlight indigenous stand-alone alternative education models from obscure corners of the country, to address how models of non-traditional education function for children from different sections of society.
- To discuss policy frameworks which encourage innovation, experiments and incubation of alternatives.
EduDoc: Stories of Education 2018:
In its 4th year, EduDoc has received 1741 films from 104 countries on the theme of 'Regulatory Challenges, Innovations and Solution in Education'. The screening and award ceremony will be followed by a celebratory dinner.
Details of the event are as follows:
- Date: Friday, 14 December 2018
- Time: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
- Venue: Juniper, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi